Sunday, March 14, 2010

Meet Bella

The picture says it all. You might be surprised to find out this isn't a 12 year-old, arthitric golden retriever with hip dysplesia (note the hind leg hanging off the sofa), but shockingly this is a 3 year-old pup in her prime. Let me start from the beginning...



My husband (who should be referred to as Brian from here on out) and I decided after 2 blissful years of marriage it was time to add to our family, yet weren't quite confident in our parenting skills, so we figured we could practice on a four-legged friend first. I've never had a dog, and could already see myself jogging along the beach with leash in hand. I did extensive research on what type of canine could join me on my morning runs. FYI (in no particular order) dalmations, weinarimers, labs and golden retrievers fit the bill. We were wavering between a golden and a lab, but it was Oprah who pushed us over the edge by dedicating an entire show to her adorable English cream golden retrievers. I was sold. We found a breeder, and Brian made the drive to Canada (we couldn't afford one in the U.S.- similar to prescription drugs) and smuggled in our beautiful new puppy who we aptly named Bella.



The first couple of days I was puzzled by her lack of enthusiasm for playing since I heard how rambunctious puppies tend to be. She just sat around, and didn't even seem to notice the dozens of toys we had carefully picked out weeks before her arrival. I figured her attitude could be attributed to the stress of her new U.S. citizenship, coupled with the fact her new mother looked nothing like her previous maternal figure. It didn't help our three cats didn't give her the warmest welcome. Weeks later, I remember my neighbor commenting on Bella's unusually calm behavior one sunny afternoon as my pup sat on the porch quietly instead of running around with Susan's kids who were begging to her to come play. At that moment, the image of Bella jogging beside me on a beautiful spring day was tossed out the window. About a month later, huffing and puffing as I carried my now 20 lb pup for the last half of our walk, I wondered if Red Bull would hurt a dog. My vet suggested against it.

So, hopefully you now have a pretty clear picture of Bella in your head, and if you don't please take a glance at the first picture posted. Due to Bella's lack of enthusiasm for walks, playing, fetch and exercise as a whole, she is now a whopping 82 lbs. The vet says she has to lose 12 lbs or she will most likely develop hip dysplesia along with a decreased life span. I have taken on the challenge. If you know me then you know when I take on a new project I put everything I have in it. I might not always finish the project, but for the first few months my full attention is put into play, and astonishing things can happen from that point. I am now dedicating myself to the future well-being of my beloved Bella. If I get her to lose 12 lbs it would be an enormous feat. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment