Friday, April 2, 2010

Stop and Smell the Roses

My life has been full of change. My husband and I are moving to a different part of the country.. did I mention he's already there? I'm living alone and trying to sell a house while starting a new job. I'm overwhelmed. We've all been there, in fact we're all there right now, in one way or another.
I took Bella for a walk today. She hates walks. I always thought it was because she detests exercise, but as she sniffed around, and I yanked her away from the seventh flower bed that interrupted our afternoon stroll, I realized maybe she hates going for walks because she can't actually enjoy them.
I decided to start this blog when my life took an unexpected turn, and I suddenly had a large amount of free time to spare. Like I do with so many things in life, I set a goal (reminder- laziest golden to lose 12 lbs) , and my focus became the endpoint, but do I actually take the time to enjoy the process of achieving the goal? How often do we do go through the motions without taking a moment to take in everything, whether it's the good or bad? My life isn't going as expected, but I still need to take advantage of life, and stop trying to control everything I can't, but take advantge of the things I can- like an afternoon stroll.
So today, I decided to stop yanking on Bella's leash. I let her stop at every mailbox, fire hydrant and poodle and just get a good whiff. Seems silly I know, but maybe it's the silly things, or simple things in life that we tend to overlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment