Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Weigh-In 6: Old weight 81 lbs. New weight...

80 lbs! She lost 1 pound! I should be overly excited, but I’ll be honest, I’m frustrated. Did you watch Kate Gosselin on Dancing with the Stars? She was terrible- really, really bad. It actually hurt to watch. The commentators kept on reminding the audience that she’s out of her element. She’s not an actress, singer or entertainer- she’s just a woman with a bunch of kids. Kate will never be a dancer. Even if she practiced everyday for the next ten years, she’ll never be an Edyta. She’s just not a dancer. It doesn’t make her a bad person, just not a dancer. The fact that she exploits her children on television is what makes Kate Gosselin a bad person (just saying).

I imagine Bella would resemble Kate if she was on a reality show for agility dogs. You would just cringe watching her try to jump over things or run through tunnels. It would be ugly. Thankfully, we’re not in a reality show…but life. And, I’m realistic. These next 10 pounds won’t come off easily, trust me. She lost 2 pounds in 2 months…even Oprah could do better. But I’m starting to see the bigger picture.

Bella will never be an agility dog. She’ll never go for a run with me. I don’t see her diving in the waves to retrieve a ball (if you recall earlier post about her bobbing around in the lake). You’ll never see Belles at the top of a mountain, unless there’s a chair lift. But that’s okay. She is who she is, but if you know her, you love her. So that’s my dilemma.

Should I put my focus and energy in getting Bella to lose weight? Or should I try for something different? Like having Bella be certified to be a Therapy Dog. Could you picture a better dog with children at a hospital? She’s not an agility dog, but I think Bella was born to be a therapy dog. She’s calm, patient and very gentle. She could pass the test with flying colors…except for one small issue…she can’t walk loose leashed. She can’t walk on a leash at all. Seriously, if you drive on Lake Cyrus Blvd. around 8:00am, you’ll see me, literally pulling Bella up the hill. Some days I win, other days, she wins. She won today. Before you judge my ability as a dog owner, imagine tugging 80 pounds of dead weight by a rope…not easy.

So here’s where I need your help. I’ve spent a lot of money on blood tests and expensive diet dog foods, so I can’t really afford to hire a private trainer to help me with this problem. If you know of anyone who is affordable, or if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Brian will videotape a demonstration of Bella walking on a leash this weekend, so I’ll have some hard evidence for you to show you my dilemma. Until then, take a look at the video I posted…pure Bella. I was trying to get her to fetch the Frisbee, and you'll see her little sister, Sophie, did the job for her

No comments:

Post a Comment